January 30, 2003


'Did Bush tell 37 lies Tuesday?'
Hey, George...Gotta wonder if you broke a record Tuesday night. A record for inconsistencies, to put it politely.

Other would call it a record for lies. I'm not saying that, but others might. I counted 36 lies...I mean, inconsistencies...when I read a newspaper transcript of your State of the Union speech. In fact, CBS News reported LIE #37 that the inspectors in Iraq would be able to tell if someone was posing as an Iraqi scientist.

As I watched Tuesday night, I thought I caught a half-dozen distortions and even blatant lies just during the first 10 minutes. - Bruce S. Ticker.


Media hand-job
Chris Matthews' of MSNBC's Hardball hit a few homers, especially when interviewing retired Gen. (Stormin') Norman Schwarzkopf, star of Gulf War I: The Sins Of The Father. He told Matthews flatly that another invasion would be about oil and he "didn't believe for one minute" that it was about anything else.

Matthews also mocked Bush's transparent proposal to fund the development of hydrogen-powered cars, as if this president was ever a friend to the environment.

But Matthews was the exception. All in all, the mainstream media fell into line yesterday. Even the New York Times wasted few column inches on domestic matters.

For hard-hitting criticism of the SOTU, the only place to look was the Internet. Which is pretty much the story every day in these times. - from Antonia Zerbisias's column at the Toronto Star.


No comments: